My whole life I have been carving pumpkins, never knowing why, just enjoying the fun and creativity it brings. Well, it turns out that there is a legend behind the carving of pumpkins. The legend says that centuries ago in Ireland there was a man named Jack. He was a lying, stingy, drunk who one night tricked the Devil into paying for his drink in a bar. The Devil changed himself into a coin and Jack, instead of paying for the drink, put the coin in a small bag with a silver cross. This made it so that the Devil could not change back, forcing him to make a deal with Jack. He promised that he would leave him alone (some versions say for a year, some say for ten years). At the end of that time, the Devil caught up with Jack walking one day and was going to take him, but again Jack tricked him, this time into climbing a tree to get him an apple. Once the Devil was in the tree, Jack carved a cross into the trunk so the Devil could not come down. Ultimately the devil promised never to come after him again. When Jack died he went to Heaven, but was not allowed in because he was wicked. Next he went to Hell, but the Devil, remembering his promise, would not take him. So, Jack was forced to travel back to where he had come in complete darkness to roam the Earth forever. The only light he had was a burning coal from Hell placed inside a hollowed out turnip. After that, frightened Irish would place their own light in a carved turnip in their windows to scare the roaming Jack away. Once Irish started immigrating to America they learned that pumpkins were great for carving and that is why we use them today.
So here we are getting ready to carve them.
Donald designing his Jack O'Lantern. He did both his and Don's (the large greenish one and the smallest one. He did a great job on the green one, I was impressed).
Eli with his pumpkin. He did not want to touch the yuck inside, so I had to carve his, but he likes it now that it is clean.
So here they are- our protectors from wandering drunk Irish immortals.
Mine had a scar on it, so now we call it "One-eyed Jack".
Do you think they'll do the trick?

1 comment:
Hey you!
So, do you remember when we went to the lake together? Well, there was another girl and her sister and husband that came. Her family lived in Mexico and she was thinking of starting a non-profit there...
Anyway, I was wondering if you have her contact info (if you think she wouldn't mind a call) and I wanted to ask her some questions because I am thinking of starting one.
Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Our little girl is only 2 months old and I think I would be a puddle on the floor without her. I'm sure that Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he made us mothers and gave our special kiddos to us, specifically. How are you liking being a teacher of an online course(s)?
My email is alchemyjb@yahoo.com
Post a Comment