Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My brain is melting!


Okay- so maybe it is not that drastic, but sometimes it sure feels like it.  Let me explain.  In November I was sitting in the chair in our office and bam!, as if I got hit by a lightning bolt, a sharp, intense pain hit one, single spot in my brain.  It grew in intensity until I could not see out of one eye and had to lay on the ground in my bedroom.  About an hour after it started I tried to reach my arm up to massage my neck to get the pain to ease and found that the right side of my body would not respond.  I laid there for a few moments in a puddle of tears and drool (sounds sexy huh) not able to open my eyes or move my arm, so eventually I crawled up into bed and passed out.  The next morning I woke up and stumbled into the bathroom.  I had full movement back, but I was still a bit shaky and uncoordinated, none the less I got ready for work and drove off to my thankless personal hell.  We had a meeting that morning which, even though I could not tell, I was told I was studdering through everything I said.  I went back to my room and tried to write the warm up on the board, but could not get my hand to form a "n".  So Don came and took me to the emergency room where I had scans done and after about a week the neurologists came to the conclusion that I had a small aneurism that was caused by a complex migraine.  The good news is that there are no deformations in my blood veins and I don't have a sentinoid bleed, the bad news is, if it happened once, it could happen again.  So the migraines continued.  Now they have gotten to about 4-5 days per week.  Sometimes they can even last up to 8 or 9 days at a time.  Last Thursday I went back to the doctor to get a different type of medication (this one is suppose to prevent them before they occur), and when I got there they took my vitals and my blood pressure was only 88/58, which is low even for me.  So she gave me the type of preventative medication that does not lower blood pressure.   On Sunday I was in church in the hall and I got really dizzy and just fell on the floor.  I don't really know if I passed out, but all I remember was telling Kyra that I felt dizzy and then looking up at people looking down at me.  So we went to the urgent care and my blood pressure was 84/53, basically my brain was not getting much oxygen at all.  So Monday, my doctor gave me a note releasing me from work for the rest of the school year because apparently I am not recovering very well while I am still there.  Hopefully I will be able to recover better at home.  So there it is- my really long story about how my brain feels like it is melting.  Today I tried three times to stand up but found that each time I tried I almost passed out so a student had to push me to my classroom from my friend's classroom on her wheely chair.  I spent the rest of the day on that wheely chair in the front of my room, luckily the students were doing the high school exit exam today.

No comments:

10 Year Anniversary- Jamaica 2007